Insurance advisory: flooding in Upper North Island
10 Mar 2017
The Insurance Council of NZ advises people affected by flood damage with the weather related events in the Upper North Island to contact their insurer as soon as possible. “After keeping yourself safe, taking photographic evidence of the flooding and damage to your property will help with your claims assessment and if you need to move damaged or contaminated goods from your house for health and safety reasons” said Tim Grafton, Insurance Council Chief Executive. Tips for recovery:
- Contact your insurer, or insurance adviser
- Act safely to prevent more damage to your building
- Try to make the buildings safe and weatherproof
- Take pictures of the damage (buildings and contents) for insurance claims
- Keep all damaged items for inspection
- Get essential services repaired e.g. water, electricity, gas, sewerage – keep copies of your bills
- Make a list and take pictures of any perishables you have to dispose of
- Don’t start non-essential repairs without your insurance company’s approval.
- If water has entered electrical plugs and sockets it would be advisable to have your electrical systems checked by a licensed electrician.
Published 10 March 2017