ICNZ's 2017 conference explored major forces and influences shaping our world and industry.
It had an international overlay and looked at what international events and trends mean for New Zealand.
Keynote Speaker, Alastair Newton — an international advisor and expert on international geo-political issues and their impact on financial markets — brought an insightful overview of the US-China dynamic for the Asia Pacific and New Zealand under the Trump administration.
Tony Gallagher — Guy Carpenter CEO Asia Pacific Region talked about the uncertain and changing world of capital and the role it will play in changing the types of products available to manage risks.
That established a tone of volatility and unpredictability, themes that played out in an in-depth two-hour Insurtech session of presentations and a panel. It included presentations from
The afternoon shifted the focus to how to be resilient in the face of volatility and uncertainty. It started with well-known celebrity and psychologist, Nigel Latta, who gave insights into consumer attitudes and behaviour.
That was followed by presentations and a panel discussion by
As usual, the conference ended with a panel of industry leaders — IAG’s Kevin Hughes, Allianz's Marc Guppy, FMG’s Chris Black and MunichRe’s Ralph Ronnenberg — who reflected on what they took from the day and what it means for their organisations and the insurance sector.
Welcome and introduction
(15) Tim Grafton, ICNZ Chief Executive
Political risk in an increasingly uncertain world
(40) Alastair Newton, Alavan Business Advisory Ltd
Navigating Unchartered (sic) Waters - change & uncertainty ahead
(35) Tony Gallagher, Guy Carpenter CEO Asia Pacific Region
Introduction and overview of Fintech in NZ and globally
(10) Mitchell Pham, FintechNZ
The next transformation: strategic priorities for the industry and future products and services
(25) Steve Graham, KPMG
MunichRe's global approach to insurtech and digital developments
(25) Ralph Ronnenberg, Managing Director, MunichRe Australia and NZ
Developing digitally based products - what works and doesn't
(25) Andrew Stead, IAG Firemark Lab, Sydney
Insurtech Panel Discussion
(35) Mitchell Pham, FintechNZ
Stone Axes and iPhones: The Fallibility of Cave Brains in Modern Times
(35) Nigel Latta, Goldfish Wisdom
Gaining traction on risk reduction with multiple stakeholders: lessons learned
(25) Elizabeth Longworth, former Director of UN Disaster Risk Reduction Office
The art of being ready for anything: future-proofing your organisation
(25) Dr Erica Seville, Founder of Resilient Organisations
Wellington City's journey to resilience
(25) Mike Mendonça, Chief Resilience Officer, Wellington City Council
Resilience Panel Session
(30) Chaired by Andrew Patterson, Business Commentator and NBR Journalist
Industry Leadership Panel: convergence of key themes from the day
(30) Chief Executives, Kevin Huges IAG, Bill Donovan QBE, Chris Black FMG, Ralph Ronnenberg MunichRe
Conclusions and drinks
(10) Chris Black, ICNZ President