The Insurance Council of New Zealand (ICNZ) and Competenz's annual Excellence in Insurance Journalism Award aims to recognise and award excellence in insurance journalism across all forms of media in New Zealand.
The purpose of the award is to promote and reward excellence in journalism that:
- fosters a better understanding of the insurance industry, its products and services
- improves insurance-related financial capability in New Zealand
- enhances the understanding of the role insurance plays in helping individuals and businesses to manage risk and its contribution to the New Zealand economy.
2016 Excellence in Insurance Journalism Award
The Award is open to all journalists, commentators and educators who have been considered by the judging panel to have demonstrated Excellence In Insurance Journalism through work that has been published or broadcast in New Zealand between 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016. To be eligible for the award the journalist must have produced at least three stories on general insurance that have been published or broadcast during the relevant 12-month period.
General insurance is risks related to home, contents, motor, marine, travel, business, cyber and liability i.e. all non-health and life insurances.
The body of work offered for consideration will be judged on the following criteria:
- that it demonstrably helps to foster a better understanding of the general insurance industry, its products and services
- that it contributes constructively towards improving insurance-related financial literacy in New Zealand
- that it enhances the understanding of the role insurance plays in helping individuals and businesses to manage risk and its contribution to the New Zealand economy
- that it demonstrates appropriate use of analysis, research and/or data
- the quality of writing, success at communicating complex issues, balance and accuracy
Excellence in Journalism Award entry form (PDF 540KB)
The judging panel will comprise a representative from:
- the Young Enterprise Trust
- the Insurance Council of New Zealand
Eligibility and Conditions of Entry
- Journalists, broadcasters, commentators and educators may nominate themselves or be nominated by a media organisation by completing the official Nomination Entry Form.
- Immediate family members or employees of the judging panel organisations and judges will not be eligible.
- A valid entry shall comprise the completed Nomination Entry Form and at least three stories (as printed or pdf copies of the published articles) or programmes (standard playback formats).
- Entries for the Awards must reach the office of Insurance Council in Wellington no later than 30 April 2016.
- Entries will not be returned.
Two cash prizes will be awarded:
- Excellence in Insurance Journalism Award – $4000 cash and certificate
- Highly Commended – $1000 cash and certificate